Mission and Achievements
The Association for the Protection of Jabal Moussa (APJM) is a non-governmental, not-for-profit organization created in 2007 for the conservation of biodiversity and preservation of the cultural heritage in Jabal Moussa Mountain and surrounding villages. Our aim is to achieve sustainable development with the participation of local communities.
• Protect and conserve the rich biodiversity of Jabal Moussa
• Revive and preserve the cultural and archaeological heritage of Jabal Moussa
• Support local socio-economic activities for sustainable rural development
• Promote environmental awareness and education
• Build the capacities of local people to handle ecotourism and sustainably manage natural resources
(1) Jabal Moussa mountain received the designation of Protected Forest through a ministerial decision by the Ministry of Agriculture in September 2008.
(2) Jabal Moussa mountain and surrounding villages received the designation of Biosphere Reserve as part of the UNESCO Network of Biosphere Reserves under Man & Biosphere (MAB) programme in February 2009. Accordingly, JM is one of the most recently designated biosphere reserves in the world, it is the third in Lebanon (after Al-Shouf Cedar, and Jabal El-Rihane), one of 24 in the Arab World and of 564 in the world.
(3) Jabal Moussa mountain received the designation of “Natural Site” through the Ministry of Environment in Lebanon on the 6th of February 2012
Jabal Moussa is affiliated to the Lebanese Consortium of Nature Reserves under the project Appui aux reserves naturelles du Liban sponsored by the Agence Francaise de Developpement (AFD) - Fonds Francais pour l’Environnement Mondial (FFEM) / French Agency for Development - French Environmental Fund. Click on AFD Protocol.pdf